Bursary Value: 1 x 100% of the Annual Residential Contract Fees up to the value of a “non-ensuite” room.
Bursary Value: 1 x 50% of the Annual Residential Contract Fees up to the value of a “non-ensuite” room.
Deadline for Application: January 31st of each residential year
Date to be Presented: Bishop’s Dinner (usually held in March each year)
Presented in the spirit and memory of St Raphael to the successful applicant who is a resident of St Raphael’s (Merrick or Grail Wing) who successfully conveys that they have a strong moral compass, a noble character, and can present a socio-economic hardship, obstacle or other relevant financial or social difficulty that hinders their desire to achieve a tertiary degree at JCU.
This Bursary is open to all residents of Saints Catholic College who have a current Residential Contract with Saints Catholic College at the time of presentation who have been allocated a room in St Raphael's. Note: If you are to be a new resident at Saints you will likely not have an allocation of residency wing at the time of your application. As such please only submit a single application for both the St Raphael's & St Paul's Bursaries by ticking the appropriate box on the application form.
Essential Items of Qualification:
- Applicant must be enrolled at James Cook University Townsville at the time of presentation.
- Applicant or applicants’ legal guardian/s eligibility for Family Tax Benefit B and/or be able to provide any other documentation to support a socioeconomic hardship, obstacle or other relevant financial or social difficulty factor/s.
- Minimum of two character references from community figures or representatives, e.g. Local, State or Federal members, religious representatives of any recognised religion or denomination, leaders or spokespersons for community focused organisations or charities, school principal or other relevant school representative, a person of respected standing in their community etc.
Items for Consideration:
- Applicants ID home address (domestic or international) is one of a lower socioeconomic standing. For Australia refer - IRSD Interactive Map
- A maximum of 500 words from a Personal Referee detailing how the applicant presents a strong moral compass and noble character and why they believe you would be a worthy recipient of this Bursary (Parent, Guardian, Relative, Teacher etc).
- A maximum of 500 words from the applicant explaining why they believe they would be a worthy recipient and how they believe they could demonstrate this at Saints.
- The 100% bursary will be based upon assessment by the Saints Catholic College management team.
- The 50% bursary will be a random selection from the pool of valid applications (as determined by the Saints Catholic College management team). Should the selected applicant already have received another bursary of greater or equal value, they will be ineligible for this bursary and a redraw will occur.
Validity & Continuance:
- The applicant must remain enrolled at James Cook University to continue to receive this Bursary..
- The applicant must maintain a 4.0 Grade Point Average of a possible 7.0 to continue to receive this Bursary.
- The applicant must not receive a "show cause" request by the College based on behaviour unbecoming of a resident of Saints Catholic College to continue to receive this Bursary.
- This Bursary will be applied on a fortnightly basis to the successful applicants residential contract fees for the duration of its validity.