We know that parents want the best for their young adult children but we also know that you are seeking value for money and the most affordable option for your young person's accommodation needs.
Here is some information to help you make an informed decision and decide if on-campus living (and living at Saints Catholic College in particular) is best for your young adult child and your economic circumstances. Costs are kept as low as possible at Saints Catholic College to pass this benefit on to families
Fees include the following benefits:
- Three cooked meals per day, seven days a week (more than one meal option is available at each sitting, most dietary needs catered for)
- Weekly room cleaning and cleaning of communal areas
- Free linen supply and laundering
- Free use of washing machines (Saints is the only College on campus to offer this service)
- Free use of computers
- Free printing (Saints is the only College on campus to offer this service)
- Free academic support for first year students
- Free internet and phone lines in each bedroom
- Wi-fi access in the dining room/function room
- Some computer technical support
- Pastoral care support
- Building security at night
Community living fosters:
- Networking and friendships among residents
- Learning transitioning skills to live independently at a later stage
- Learning how to be considerate and respectful of others
- Better academic outcomes
- An emphasis on a balanced lifestyle (academic/sporting/social/spiritual aspects)
- 24 hour pastoral care and security available (Saints is the only College on campus to offer late night security seven days per week.)
On-campus accommodation can be more affordable than renting off-campus for the following reasons:
- No need to acquire a lot of furniture, white goods and utensils
- House or unit rental agreements are usually for a full year ie 52 weeks compared to 40 weeks at the College. No rent is required during summer vacation periods whilst residing at Saints Catholic College. An added benefit is that continuing residents are able to securely store their belongings at the College during the summer break. This is a free service.
- The weekly College rate includes utility charges as well as rental costs for phone and internet
- The College does not require an initial bond payment
- Transport time and costs are kept to a minimum while living on-campus
- Students living at Saints Catholic College can concentrate on their studies without concern for cleaning; grocery shopping; laundering bed linen; negotiating with tradesmen; allowing for commuting time to university; or finding themselves isolated in the community with limited support.
Although it can be difficult to put a price on some of these benefits, time saved on household chores and commuting will allow your young adult child to allocate more quality time to study and relieve some of the inevitable stress associated with being a university student.
Please browse our website carefully and learn more about why we believe Saints Catholic College is an excellent accommodation choice for your young person while studying away from home at James Cook University.
Please contact us if you have any questions which are not answered throughout the website.